An Agency Endowment Matching Program to start new or grow existing funds.
Agency Endowment Matching is a way to support nonprofit organizations and agencies in building endowments in the Wabash Valley. Agency Endowment funds invest in the mission and the future of a nonprofit organization or agency by providing general operating support, stability during cyclical income variances and income for areas of high importance to the organization or agency.
Agency Endowments are opened by nonprofit organizations or agencies wishing to establish a fund that is kept in perpetuity at the Wabash Valley Community Foundation. Annually, this fund provides an ongoing stream of revenue generated by the investment of the principal.
Benefits of an Agency Endowment Fund
- Stability and responsibility: Having an endowment fund at the Wabash Valley Community Foundation signifies to donors that the organization or agency is serious about long-term financial stability. The endowment offers a permanent income stream that can be distributed or reinvested while offering assurance that the principal of the fund will be protected.
- Prudent investment management: An Agency Endowment fund enjoys the advantage of being invested in a larger pool of assets at the Community Foundation, which can lead to greater fund growth and increased income. The Community Foundation adds value to agency endowment programs by offering an investment program that smaller nonprofits simply cannot afford to duplicate without substantial invested assets. The Community Foundation handles all investment management, oversights, accounting, and financial reporting.
- Planning giving expertise: Community Foundation staff is available to work with donors and advisers on planned gifts to Agency Endowment funds.
- Administrative support: The Community Foundation provides all administrative and record-keeping support related to Agency Endowment funds, including gift acknowledgments, memorial/honor notifications and fund statements. Donors can make gifts to the organization for the endowment, or directly to the Community Foundation.
The Wabash Valley Community Foundation will match all new contributions $1-for-$1, up to $5,000, to an eligible Agency Endowment fund from November 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024. Please note that, of this amount, the Community Foundation will only match up to $1,000 per donor family or business. All contributions must be made to the Agency Endowment Fund at the Community Foundation to be matched. Transfers from the Nonprofit Organization or Agency will not be matched.
Interested nonprofit organizations must register by October 1, 2023. Churches, temples and religious organizations are ineligible to participate in Match Madness, unless for secular activities.
The goal of any endowment is for it to grow. After establishing an agency endowment with the Community Foundation, there are many opportunities to encourage gifts, generate matching contributions and promote the fund for the purpose of attracting estate planning gifts.
Promoting estate planning gifts to an Agency Endowment fund in publications or gift solicitation letters will help remind donors they can ensure a future for the nonprofit organization or agency through a gift to the Agency Endowment fund at the Community Foundation. Planned giving help is available from the Community Foundation at no cost to the agency.
How to Get Started
- Discuss an Agency Endowment Fund with your organization’s board to determine how much you would like to invest long-term. The Community Foundation staff is available to meet with your board and/or other appropriate volunteers and staff.
- The Community Foundation will work with your nonprofit organization or agency to customize a fund agreement.
- 501(c)(3) status.
- A physical location of the organization or agency based in Clay, Sullivan or Vigo counties and serves residents of Clay, Sullivan or Vigo counties.
- Must have attended a Match Madness Informational Session hosted by the Community Foundation.
- Participation in Match Madness must be presented to and approved by the governing board of directors of the interested organization or agency.
- Preference will be given to new agency funds or for the growth of smaller existing funds.
- An Agency Endowment fund can be established with a minimum gift of $5,000.
- There is an annual administrative fee which is currently 0.75%.
- There is no cost to establish an Agency Endowment fund.
- The principal of the endowment remains intact, in perpetuity.
- Distribution will be made in accordance with the Community Foundation’s annual spending policy.
To download a PDF of these Guidelines, please click here.