Albert Landes was born on July 2, 1918 to John and Alice Landes. He attended Van Buren High School where he graduated in 1936. After graduation, he received a job at the Adamson Lumber Company. A few years later, Albert would be sworn into the United States Army, from which he was later honorably discharged as a Sergeant due to a service related illness.
Albert was an avid member at the Northside Church of Christ in Terre Haute. He was also a booster for Northview High School and Clay City High School athletics.
In August of 1955, Albert married the love of his life, Virginia Adamson. Although he had many family members pass away during his lifetime, including his five sisters, three brothers, his parents, a stepson and his wife, Albert never let that stop him from making the most out of his life.
Virginia passed away in 1993, and Albert passed away in 2011.
Albert created the Albert A. Landes Endowed Scholarship Fund with the Clay County Community Foundation, an affiliate of the Wabash Valley Community Foundation, to provide scholarships to two female student athletes from Clay County, Indiana. One student is to be a graduate of Clay City High School and the other a graduate of Northview High School.
Eligibility requires that:
- You are a female graduating from Clay City or Northview High School.
- You have been an athlete competing in sports for the four years before graduation.
- You have at least a GPA of 3.0.
- You have demonstrated an intense desire to excel athletically and academically.
- You will attend an Indiana college or university.