NOTICE REGARDING LETTER-OF-INTENT
The Wabash Valley Community Foundation, along with the Clay and Sullivan County Community Foundations, have upcoming grant cycles for which the initial deadline is May 1 for submitting a Letter-of-Intent (LOI). Having given this thoughtful consideration and concluding that we have no way of knowing what things are going to look like by May 1, the grant process will – for the time being – follow its normal course and schedule.
Nonprofit organizations planning to submit a LOI need to be aware there is a possibility we may need to suspend our regular grant making processes in order to respond to COVID-19 relief efforts. It is important to note that such a decision could come at any point prior to full proposal invitations being extended, which typically occurs around June 1. Just as in years past, anyone seeking to submit a Letter-of-Intent must contact Kelli Miller at the Community Foundation prior to starting an application. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to initiate the application process.
The link to the online application and accompanying forms may be accessed below.
How to Apply
A Letter of Intent is required prior to submitting a grant request. All letters of intent must be submitted online via https://wvcfgrants.communityforce.com.
Deadlines for Letters of Intent:
Vigo County November 1st and May 1st
Clay County May 1st
Sullivan County May 1st
Letters of Intent will be reviewed, and selected organizations will be invited to submit a full proposal, which will also be completed at https://wvcfgrants.communityforce.com.
Please note that grant recipients in Vigo County must wait two grant cycles before re-applying.
Deadlines for Full Proposals:
Vigo County February 1st and August 1st
Clay County August 1st
Sullivan County August 1st
* Terre Haute Day Nursery, Youth Grant Committee, and Vigo and Clay County Urgent Needs grants have alternate requirements. These applications can be found below.
Please download and fill out the forms below. You can mail or fax back the Community Foundation:
Wabash Valley Community Foundation, Inc.
200 South 8th Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Urgent Needs Grant Applications:
Donor Adviser Recommendation Form:
|Download Form for Donor Advisers to Recommend Grants|
Terre Haute Day Nursery Grant Application:
Deadline to Submit Terre Haute Day Nursery Application is October 1, 2020 .
|Download THDN Application and Guidelines|
For information on Youth Grant Committee Grants, click here.
Good Grant Writing Advice
A Top Ten list of recommendations from private and community foundations in Indiana (heard at “Meet the Funder” events hosted by the Indiana Youth Institute across the Hoosier State):
- Do your homework on a community foundation using the community foundation’s web site and annual report.
- But don’t chase dollars based on what you learn. Many community foundations will see right through this. Instead, apply only for grants that support your mission. Stick to your mission!
- In your grant proposal, articulate the problem and how you will try to solve (or at least reduce) the problem. Do not over-promise. Be realistic.
- Explain how you will know when you are successful. That means include an evaluation plan.
- Keep the proposal clear, simple and concise.
- Do not write a generic proposal that then is mass produced for multiple foundations. Tailor each proposal to the specific interests of each foundation.
- Do not go to a community foundation too late with an urgent need or as a last resort.
- Community foundations do not want to be the Lone Ranger. The more broad-based financial support you can demonstrate, the more you are demonstrating sustainability to a community foundation.
- The accompanying budget needs to be detailed and include a written justification. Do not submit general estimates. Don’t ask for more than you need, thinking you will receive less.
- After receiving the grant, submit an accurate grant report and an accurate financial report by the particular foundation’s deadline. Good grant management strengthens your reputation among funders.