The Vigo County CASA program began in 1985 and has continued to advocate and be the voice of the abuse and neglected children of our community for 35 years. CASA is an acronym for Court Appointed Special Advocates that are specially trained community members. These amazing individuals volunteer their time to be the “Voice of an Abused and Neglected Child”, speaking for their “Best Interest” as they travel through the juvenile court system.
However, their work doesn’t stop at the courts…CASAs also advocate for essential tangible needs and the simple wants for “normal childhood” experiences. This could mean, participating in camps, extracurricular activities: sports, dance, etc. or for a bike, a purple unicorn, or just their own personal bath towel.
Over the last 3 years, the CASA program has provided to the children of Vigo County, over an estimated $40,000 in personal hygiene, diapers, clothing, camps, beds, special events and many other items. This awesome task was accomplished through the amazing generosity of community donations and support along with collaboration from local retailers and businesses.
All donations STAY in Vigo County and are used to:
- maintain the “Giving Hearts Store” an immediate access store located in the CASA office to all volunteers to obtain items of essential needs of personal hygiene products, diapers, and other household items.
- purchase clothing, shoes, beds, bedding, cribs, car seats, safety items and other essential needs.
- assist with fees for summer camps, extracurricular activities & equipment (football, baseball, wrestling, dance, swimming, etc.)
- helps provide for special events and activities for the children of the program (Teen Spring Fling, CASA summer picnic, CASA Trunk or Treat, Christmas in Whoville)
- assist and support the volunteers of the program with advocacy materials, gas card mileage assistance, training and appreciation items and events.
“Each one of us can make a difference. Together we make change.” -Barbara Mikulski
Let’s make a change together!
Become a volunteer! Make a donation by clicking Give Online.
To learn more about becoming a volunteer please visit: www.vigocountycasa.net or
Complete and application at: https://in-vigo.evintosolutions.com/volunteerapplicationer
To stay up to date on all our events:
Follow us on Facebook: VigoCountyCASA Twitter: Vigo_CASA Instagram: vigocountycasa
A CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) stands up for kids in the juvenile court system due to neglect, abuse or abandonment. They are specially trained community volunteers who undergo 30 hours of initial training and 12 annual hours of in-service training.To learn more about becoming a CASA volunteer or other ways you can volunteer with the CASA program, please visit the CASA website at www.VigoCountyCASA.net or complete an application at https://in-vigo.evintosolutions.com/volunteerapplicationer.